Monday, October 31, 2011

Interview - Nick Meyers

On an autumn day in Tucson, the college classroom hums with the muted sound of many people talking while trying to be quiet about it. The words "why" and "when" can be made out occasionally as the journalism class practices their interviewing skills on each other. I am assigned to interview Nick Meyer, the dark haired young man who sits next to me.
He turns out to be a dream to interview. He answers my questions quickly and thoughtfully, knowing both where he is going and his back-up plan, although he doesnb’t refer to it as such. "I’m an accounting major right now, but I might go into broadcasting," he told me.
The idea came from his mother, who sounds like a bright lady. "She said if I couldn’t participate in sports the way I wanted to, I could go into broadcasting. That way I would still be involved." Nick is very in the know about stats, players, history, scores and all that sporty stuff.
His teams are the Yankees and the Miami Dolphins. I told him about my brother-in-laws fan behavior (named his daughter after his team) and it turns out that one of Nick’s relatives is apparently doing the same thing! Nick says he’s not quite that committed.
At his last interview, he learned that he enjoys interviewing and believes he will get better at it as he practices. He interviewed his high school football coach and learned all about the man’s history in sports.
The theme that emerged through the interview was that sports is definitely his field and I hope he can find a way to earn a living by being involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment